20 Jul, 21
Vaginal Discharge Colors – Causes and its Treatments
Last Updated: 20 Jul, 21 / By: REYO
What is Vaginal Discharge?
A fluid discharge from the vagina keeps the vagina and reproductive system clean and healthy. The daily vaginal discharge removes dead cells and trash. Most often regular occurrence of vaginal discharge is normal. Abnormal discharge can be diagnosed based on the color, consistency, or smell of the discharge.
Colors of Vaginal Discharge:
- Clear and Watery fluid discharge is completely normal. It indicates a healthy discharge. The amount of flow varies for every woman.
- Clear and Stretchy discharge may indicate that you’re in the ovulation phase of your menstrual cycle.
- White vaginal discharge may be a sign of starting your menses or the end of your menstrual cycle. Also, you may have this discharge at the beginning of your menstrual cycle.
- White or Grey, Thick, and Cheesy discharge may be the sign of yeast infection and bacterial vaginosis. It includes symptoms as vaginal itching, pain, and swelling.
- Pink discharge usually happens after childbirth or during implantation (after 10 – 14 days of conception).
- Yellow or Green discharge may be due to Sexually Transmitted Infections. The discharge may be cloudy with an unpleasant smell. It is accompanied by symptoms as itching and pain while urinating.
- Bloody or brown discharge usually occurs at the end of your menstrual cycle (during menstruation). Brown discharge may also occur during implantation. Cervical and Endometrial cancer may accompany by brown discharge. Bleeding during the early trimesters of pregnancy may be a sign of miscarriage.
Vaginal Discharge during Pregnancy:
Most of the time vaginal discharge is one of the earliest signs of pregnancy. Vaginal discharge during pregnancy varies in amount, consistency, and frequency. These changes may starts after one or two weeks of conception. An increase in the blood flow causes frequent vaginal discharge during pregnancy. The amount of vaginal discharge during early pregnancy will be very less. You may see a progressive increase in the amount of vaginal discharge during the later pregnancy stage. White and thin discharge is normal; it removes the dead cells and protects your vagina from any kind of infection. If you have a pink discharge during early pregnancy it might be a sign of implantation.
Causes of Abnormal Vaginal Discharge:
- Bacterial Vaginosis (BV)
- Yeast infection
- Cervical infections
- Cervical or Endometrial cancer
- Pelvic Inflammatory Disease (PID)
- Sexually Transmitted Disease (STD)
- Sexually Transmitted Infections (STI)
- Human Papilloma Virus (HPV)
- Scented products or douches
- Birth control pills
- Steroid usage
When to See a Doctor?
When the abnormal vaginal discharge occurs along with some other symptoms, immediately seek help from your doctor or healthcare provider.
- Abdominal pain
- Sudden weight loss
- Increased urination
- Very strong odor
- Burning while urinating
- Vaginal Itching
- Yellow, green, and grey discharge
- Cheese-like and frothy discharge
Home Remedies for Abnormal Vaginal Discharge:
- Apply Coconut Oil to the vaginal area while affected by yeast infections.
- Adding Garlic to your diet helps with yeast infections.
- Limit the usage of antibiotics.
- Greek Yogurt acts as a probiotic; it contains good bacteria that help to create a healthy environment to the vaginal surface.
- Boil Fenugreek Seeds in 500ml water and let it reduce to half. Drinking this water helps with white discharge.
- Consuming Yogurt and Lady’s Finger mixture reduces white discharge.
- Gooseberry juice can treat white discharge.
- Coriander seeds tea and coriander soaked water also reduces abnormal vaginal discharge.